So how do I become an HSE NII Inspector?

About you


Applicants must have:

a good honours degree, or equivalent, in an appropriate scientific or engineering subject;

corporate membership of a relevant professional institution;

significant experience of working in responsible positions in the nuclear sector or other high hazard industry in design, construction, operation or safety appraisal in a safety case environment;

Preference will be given to candidates who can demonstrate a sound understanding of the current nuclear industry context and understanding of relevant principles and practices;

a full driving licence that permits you to drive in the UK (this is essential). However, HSE is willing to consider any proposals put forward by disabled applicants that would allow them to do the job by any other means.

In addition to high technical ability and expertise your personal qualities are also important to us. Should you be invited for interview your abilities in the following areas will also be discussed and assessed:

Sound judgement based on your knowledge and expertise, often in a pressurised environment;

drive and determination, and ability to stay calm under pressure;

an influential and persuasive approach to achieving objectives

emotionally resilient – able to get the job done in difficult circumstances;

the ability to work as part of a team;

ability to effectively plan, prioritise and be forward thinking

good investigative ability, and initiative to generate appropriate research.

Our inspectors come from a variety of mainly nuclear or high-hazard-related backgrounds, but all demonstrate calm and poise when working under pressure in one of the most demanding jobs in the public sector.

To discuss this or similar posts, please contact ERS on 01454 203 460, or submit a CV to, to register your interest or apply for this position, further details available at



One Response to “So how do I become an HSE NII Inspector?”

  1. Hi
    I am looking to go to university and become one day in the future a hse inspector but you have not listed clearly what I need to take at university.
    Help please

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: